As before, the stacked timbers were staggered - to minimize the amount of digging needed.
Photo below - Here's the other end completed. The decision was made to stay at least 2 feet away from the telephone company's equipment, and i'm sure they will be ok with that. Maybe nobody will come knock on my door about it.....
Photo below - with both end sections now in place, it's time to remove some of the soil from the area within the box before the final side is installed. This space has all kinds of obstacles to deal with - including pretty large tree trunks, roots, honeysuckle vines, you name it....It's definitely a landscape designer's worst nightmare! This part of the project would cause me to hurt in places I didn't know existed!
So, I used a variety of tools to get the area cleaned up a bit. A pickaxe, shovel, pair of loppers, garden rake, and tiller were handy at chipping away at the big mess. Thankfully, Austin helped me with some of it - which was a big relief. In the process of digging, I found cable and telephone wires that come into our home. :-) Since they were originally buried by me about 4 years ago as I was wiring up the house, I knew "kinda" where they were, but still managed to cut one with the pickaxe. No biggie - just had to splice it back and create a protected connection. Here's the completed box
Photo below - Normally, when I run into a situation where some of the timbers end up below grade, it's time to add another layer of timbers all the way around. But, the wife didn't want me to add any more - so alot of digging will be necessary to make sure soil doesn't wash into the box everytime it rains. I'll simply dig a decent sized ditch along this particular side, which should make everything work out.
Since it's now the middle of summer and not exactly the best time to plant shrubs and trees, i'll keep the area sprayed with roundup until cooler weather arrives, then add a generous layer of finished compost - which will be mixed in with the existing soil. For now, this job is pretty much complete, and I hope it helps my readers to construct their own some day.
Take care, and happy building!