Since the location for the broccoli growing in swc's was getting less sun by the day (and the main raised bed was finally empty), all of the planters were relocated to the section in the middle. This spot gets lots of sun - regardless of what time of year it is, and we need all that can be got right now. As you can see, they're doing very good, and should have some mature heads sometime during the first 2 weeks of December. No cabbage worm damage yet, but you can bet that BT is on standby for a quick eradication when needed.
Photo below - Two to three inches of fresh compost was then added to the remaining part of the section, and all of the little lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard seedlings that were started in cellpacks a few weeks ago were transplanted. Hopefully, this entire area will be completely full of green growth in a few weeks, and several salads will be had - as me and Austin really like fresh salads from the garden each year.
Photo below - Temps soared close to 90 degrees during the hottest part of the day, so I decided to water the front yard - and also provide Jude with some much needed relief. It hasn't rained in several days, so I try to water the bermuda turfgrass that was sown from seed back in March at least weekly. The rest of the property is nothing but crabgrass, but i've been working on this part in front of the house for a couple of years now. Two applications of weed and feed per year really has made a difference, and i'm looking forward to having a nice lawn for the first time in my life.
Photo below - Oh, she absolutely loves playing in the water, and I frequently have to at least turn the garden hose on for her to play with. She bites at it constantly, and really likes for it to spray her on the belly. Heh.
In other news, it was a perfect weekend for working outside, and more work was done to the greenhouse and the squirrel trap. Some plywood scraps were cut for putting a top on the little high rise in the greenhouse, and the special clamps that were purchased to attach the plastic sheeting to the pvc frame were all cut in half. Now, i've got 80 pieces to fasten the sheeting with, and it should really make a difference in how resilient the protective cover is against wind. You just don't know how bad I want to attach it right now, but it would be smart to wait until needed.
Speaking of my crazy backyard projects, i'm really glad that everyone enjoys them. :-) The stat counter shows that they are the most popular posts I do, and it's my pleasure to bring them from my home to yours. Only 1 more little problem to work out on the squirrel trap, and i'll finally post about it, too. Man....that little thing has really been a challenge! Especially since it's constructed exclusively from things found while scrounging through my various out-buildings.
Also, several tomatoes that were frozen over the summer were turned into more salsa, and it's definitely a big hit around here each year. The five gallons of green tomatoes in the kitchen are still sitting there, and I really don't know what to do with them. A few will most likely be pickled, but relish or green salsa is not likely to happen. Well, that's about it for today....
Take care, and happy gardening!