First of all, i'd like to say thanks to everyone that commented on my post about the squirrel trap. I put alot of thought and time into the project, and really needed to hear that some of you were entertained or even helped the least bit by my unorthodox construction methods. It's what keeps me going - kinda like my fuel to build more things in the future. Sadly, only about 5% of everyone that reads my construction posts actually acknowledge that they even read one of them, and those particular posts are by far the most visited. (The one on constructing a swp from a single 5 gallon bucket has had almost 600 hits alone). Anyway, any comment at all is greatly appreciated, even if it's only to say "thanks for posting this".
I've been so pre-occupied with the construction projects lately that I hardly noticed that the muscadine grapevines had a late round of grapes that had matured. Yeah, it was almost a gallon of them! You could even smell their sweetness as you walked by...Later that evening, I went ahead and juiced them, and got at least 16 oz. of crystal clear, purple colored juice from them (the rest was foamy looking stuff). I'd love to make some jelly with it, but don't know if it's enough juice for a batch. Only one way to find out, I guess...Maybe a 1/2 batch? It's in the fridge now, and will be turned into something this weekend. Yeehaw!
Photo below - here's a shot of everything being grown right now. There's carrots and japanese maple tree transplants in the forefront, and of course lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, and broccoli in the background. I figure the lettuce will be coming in hard just before thanksgiving, and of course the broccoli about 2-3 weeks after that. The carrots will be left for about 5-6 months - in hopes that they'll actually get some size on them.
Photo below - I just had to take a picture of my "October Glory" Red Maple that was planted about 5 years ago. It's really grown over time, and someday will be towering over everything in the yard.
Photo below - Ok, so I had this battery charger that was giving me fits......It was one of those kinds that would shut off automatically once the battery had been fully charged, but wouldn't work at all sometimes. Yeah, it had all kinds of electronics on it - which apparently were on the blink. Well, I showed it! Using the transformer in it, I decided to modify it just a bit.... I connected a 2 ohm, 20 watt resistor in series with one side of the transformer secondary, then hooked it to a full wave bridge rectifier. Now I have a 2 amp trickle charger that works every single time I need it. It'll be assembled inside the original case once more, so that it will be presentable and easy to carry around. That just goes to show that sometines technology isn't the best way to go.
Photo below - Here's 4 of my wheelchair batteries connected in parallel - that will be used to run the greenhouse, of course. Talk about a mobile power supply! These babies should be able to control the greenhouse temperature for at least a week at a time.
Speaking of the greenhouse, i'm still having trouble with the motor part....Right now, a drill motor is installed on it - but it goes way too fast! I'll have to build something to control the speed, and have been removing electronic components from the various circuit boards laying around to be turned into something for it soon. Most electrical projects don't require any outside information, but this one will cause me to do some research....Oh well, it's good to learn something new!
In other news, my Auburn Tigers are ranked #1 in the country! (but history shows that it might be short-lived!) Hehe....That's ok, I still love my team, whether winning or losing....
The bags of curbside leaves are slowly trickling in, and I brought home 4 on Wednesday. At least 50-60 will be needed for a good composting cycle, and i'll continue to scour the neighborhoods during my lunch break at work. After the bad storms this week, i'm sure several will find their way to the curb over the weekend - so Monday should be a great day for "foliage robbery"! Hehe...On Thursday, I picked up 3 really large bags of grass clippings, and will spread them out in the yard to dry out a bit (otherwise, they'll clump together). This is gonna be a really big composting cycle, and thankfully there's plenty of room to store as many bags of leaves as I want on the property - and also that I have a really big truck!
Take care, and happy gardening!