Agrobio Solutions and Deborah - welcome, and thanks for following the blog!
After performing a sons' duties that take place on Mother's Day (hugs, gifts, a card, and an " I love you Mom"), I went out and inspected everything in the garden. It was pretty much the same as it was the evening before, but of course there were a few changes - as can be expected. The only bad things that were found were 1 tomato seedling that was being kept on my work table had died, and one of the honeydew melons in a swc, too. However, everything else looked great - as i'd hoped it would be.
Photo below - here's my one and only sweet potato slip from the storebought potato that's been suspended in water for about 45 days. Before it could produce anymore sprouts, the potato began to rot.....Oh well, I hope this little fella will grow pretty quick, because i'll need to clip at least 11 more slips from it later.
Photo below - I wanted to show you one of the plantings of pole beans that is doing excellent, with no apparent problems so far. The corn in the bottom of the picture is stressed from too much rainfall as of late, and I certainly hope they begin to perk up within the next week or so. Okra is at the top of the pic, and in all there are around 40 plants. Boy, that's gonna produce alot, I bet.....
Photo below - Although bent over from the high winds the other night, the corn in the 31 gallon swc's is by far the best thing out there right now. Man, this is the only way to grow corn.....Also, you can see that the cucumbers to the right are getting pretty tall too, and should begin their upward climb on the trellis in a few days.
Photo below - I also wanted to show the carrots in the deck rail planter box that are doing "ok" too. These were pulled later in the day, because the wife needed the planter for flowers on the deck. As you can imagine from the size of the plants, nothing was hardly harvested, and needed another few weeks before good sized carrots would form. Oh well....i'll grow some in the coldframes during the cold months, which should do much better.
In other news, I turned all of the compost bins with my manure fork, and added about 20 lbs. of used coffee grounds to them in the process. Overall i'm pretty pleased with the status of it, and figure it'll be completely finished sometime in June. That's when a new batch will be started, and it should easily be complete in September. Once that's done, i'll take at least a year off from composting, because i'll have enough on hand to last for quite a while. Whew.....
I'm also shooting a series of videos pertaining to the maintenance and care of home air conditioning systems, and will dedicate an entire blog page to them. I hope you find the information useful - even if it does come from a redneck from the deep south. Ha! It'll be around 10 videos when complete, and i'll provide a link to them when finished.
Take care, and happy gardening!