Now for a composting update.....Since some of the grass clippings got rained on inside the bags (from the plastic busting open), I've got a few nasty clumps to deal with. No biggie - they're being put into one bin by itself, so that it will be the only one with that problem. Even if it takes until the end of summer to get that particular bin finished, i'll still have 5 more to use in the spring. Below is a photo of the nasty looking clumps that will be gradually broken up by hand as I let Jude out to play each day. I would let her help, but she'll just eat 'em. Little stinker...
Photo below - here's one of the original bins that is pretty full, now. It'll be turned by hand in a week or two, and will have alot of kitchen scraps added to it, too. Gosh, I sure do dread turning these two piles by hand. It's gonna have to be done though, because the turning system will be built for the new pallet bins, not the old ones. These old ones will have to be done manually. :-(
Photo below - here's the same bin as above, with dry dog food sprinkled all over the top of the grass clippings. At this point, water is sprinkled onto the top very good - then covered with about 4-6" of shredded leaves. This process has been duplicated in layers for all bins that are currently filled - kinda like making lasagna. Doing it this way gives the pile a head start on the decomposition process. At least that's my belief.....
Photo below - here's 5 out of 6 pretty much filled, with only one more to go. Whew, i'll be glad when this is finished! When you're a 1-man crew, it will wear you out!
Photo below - I curse this pile of leaves that continues to occupy space in my parent's front yard. Well, not really.....but I'm so tired of looking at it! UGH!
In reality, I think the load of leaves that was dumped was exactly the right amount. Afterall - the contents in the bins shrink pretty quick, and I'll just continue to add the leaves from the pile to the old bins that were used last year. In a complete shocker to some readers that have been following my composting trials over the last 2 years, I'm even gonna utilize the compost tumbler that caused so many problems in the beginning. Yeah....I'm gonna try it one more time - and take it easy on the addition of "greens" this time around. Boy, was that a learning experience!
I'd also like to tell you that all of the components needed for the electro-mechanical compost turning system that will be built later have been located. The construction of it will most likely start over the upcoming holidays, as the shelves in the shed will definitely be finished by then. Yay! It'll be a monster of a project, especially while working alone on it (as usual). My friend that has his own sawmill has already started cutting lumber for me, and I should have it at the end of next week. Yeah...EG doesn't mess around! (He's cutting my cedar boards for the deeper garden, too).
Lastly, if you'll remember - the internal temperature of the piles last week was on average about 143 degrees....Well, not now. I checked them again yesterday, and only one was barely over 100. :-( Oh well, that'll be addressed real soon!
Take care, and happy gardening!