No pictures for today's post, but there are new developments in the garden to talk about.
1. Silks are forming on the corn! That's great news......in 3-4 more weeks, we'll be gnawing on some, if the squirrels don't get it. I hope they know that I have a shotgun, and won't hesitate to use it...Heh. Anyway...I still can't believe that the inter-planting worked. I'll be doing that more often!
2. Female flowers have formed on some of the watermelons, and some little melons should be forming in a week or two.
3. In all, about 40 tomatoes have formed, although I did find an Opalka with BER. Oh well....at least it has almost diminished in the setting fruit. Aphids have arrived for them as well.
4. The squash (yeah, granny...I said squash!) is growing like crazy, and a straightneck will be picked tomorrow. One of the zucchini vines has already grown about 5 feet long, and that's just insane.....Man, those 6 squash plants confined to a 4ft x 6ft area is gonna get pretty interesting later!
5. The homemade sauerkraut is fermenting nicely, and should be finished in 2-3 weeks. Man...I can't wait to try it, 'cause I've never tried it before. It should go well with some bratwurst or hotdogs.
6. I'll be doing a big post on the shed after the weekend, because alot more framing has been accomplished in the evenings after work. Even though there's not much that gets done each day, it keeps adding up. I have big plans for this shed, and will maximize the interior space as best I can. The only thing I haven't decided, is what material to use for the exterior walls, and also the roof (after the OSB is installed). A tin roof is looking like a good possibility, though....
Dangit, no more squashbugs........Reckon they told their friends, or something? Don't get me wrong....I don't want them on my plants, but they sure are fun to kill! Oh!!!I found my first hornworm egg today,while inspecting the Opalka tomato plants. They pop pretty loud, when you crush them between your fingers. Ha! BT will be sprayed on the plants this weekend, just in case I don't find them all.
Anyway, that's about it for today, but alot will take place this weekend.
Take care, and happy gardening!